Scaling & Root Planing
815 Dental Studio
Scaling and root planing, also called periodontal/ gum therapy or deep cleaning, is a treatment involving the removal of dental plaque and calculus with scaling below the gumline, and then smoothing, or planing, of the root surfaces, removing more damaging calculus and toxins. Scaling and root planing is necessary in treating gum disease. Deep cleaning will remove the source of the infection and promote healing.
Dr. Anthony and the entire five-star at 815 Dental Studio focus on bringing bright and healthy smiles to every family we get the opportunity to work with. We offer quality general family dental and cosmetic procedures services. We can manage your entire family’s dental needs. We are experts in all general dental procedures, from preventative cleanings and examinations to extractions, periodontal treatments, and restorations such as crowns and fillings. We are quite skilled in many cosmetic procedures such as teeth whitening, inlays, onlays, dental bonding, porcelain veneers, and other viable methods to restore and maintain your healthy and natural smile.
If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of scaling and root planing for yourself or your family, our phone number is 815-229-1110, and you can find us at 1574 South Bell Road, Cherry Valley, IL, 61016. 815 Dental Studio has established an incredible team offering superb dental services in an amazing and relaxing environment.
Deep cleaning will remove the source of the infection and promote healing. Preventing infection and inflammation anywhere in your body is important for heart health. Scaling and root planing is beneficial if you are seeking a long-term solution for improving the health of your smile.
Benefits Of Scaling and Root Planing
Scaling and root planing will improve your overall health. Benefits of deep cleanings include:
- Preventing Gum Disease: Gum disease is the inflammation of the gums caused by plaque on your teeth under your gums. Symptoms of gum disease are swelling and bleeding while brushing your teeth. It is essential to keep plaque off your teeth to prevent gum disease.
- Preventing Cavities: Plaque on your teeth destroys the enamel. Plaque is the primary cause of decay, and cavities left untreated can result in a root canal or tooth extraction. A scaling and root planing treatment to remove this damaging plaque is critical to preserve good oral health.
- Reduces risk of Diabetes: A direct correlation exists between diabetes and gum disease. If you have diabetes, you are more susceptible to gum disease, and if you have gum disease, you are likely to struggle with regulating your blood glucose levels, which can result in you developing diabetes. By scheduling regular scaling and root planing treatments, you can reduce this risk.
- Prevents Halitosis: If you have gum disease you probably have bad breath. A benefit of scaling and root planing is the elimination of this problem.
- Reduce the Likelihood of a Stroke or Heart Attack: The bacteria from gum disease can also enter your bloodstream and increase the risk of a stroke or a heart attack. Research has proven that if you have gum disease, you are twice as likely to suffer a heart attack and at a higher risk of having a stroke.
The Levels of Gum Disease
Periodontal disease is progressive and gradually increases in severity. If you develop periodontal disease, it will be in this order:
- Gingivitis: The first stage of periodontitis, gingivitis is from bacterial plaque that accumulates next to the gums. Gingivitis is apparent by sensitive gums that are red, swollen, and bleed easily. Gingivitis can be quickly stopped and reversed with scaling and root planing.
- Early Periodontitis: Early periodontitis, the second stage, is the result of continued build-up and evolves when gingivitis is left untreated. The symptoms are now the same just escalating in severity. Your gums will now become painful, sensitive, and brushing will result in excessive bleeding. Early periodontitis will require more intensive interventions than gingivitis for treatment.
- Advanced Periodontitis: When the bacteria has developed to the point that gum tissue is being destroyed, you are now in the third stage, advanced periodontitis. You now have small pockets between your gums and teeth, which accelerate bacteria development. These pockets expand and sag, resulting in gum recession. If left untreated, this will cause bone loss.
WE’RE ALL ABOUT
We are passionate about our patient's comfort, and we are always striving to give you the best experience while you are in our office.
MEET OUR DENTIST
ALISSA ANTHONY, DMD
With unique energy and a positive spirit, Dr. Anthony provides our patients with quality dentistry while making her patients feel comfortable in the dental chair. Her entire team at 815 Dental Studio reflects her smiling, patient-focused and passionate approach to oral health.
YOUR FIRST VISIT at
815 dental studio
Experts in general dentistry, from cleanings and checkups to extractions, periodontal treatments, and fillings, we are also highly trained in cosmetic procedures such as teeth whitening, inlays onlays, dental bonding, porcelain veneers, clear aligners, and other ways to give you straight white teeth.
The Procedure for Scaling and Root Planing
Scaling and root planing can be done at 815 Dental Studio after an evaluation identifies the issue. You may need more than one appointment, depending on the severity of the disease. We might suggest a local anesthetic for your procedure. If you are anxious or concerned, discuss this at your evaluation.
We will start with the scaling. Using a hand-held scaler, we scrape the plaque from your teeth below the surface of your gums and in any pockets.
Next, we will add the root planing if necessary. We gently smooth the tooth roots using a scaling tool. This smoothing also removes the source of the infection, allows your gums to reattach to the teeth, and promotes healing.
Your team at 815 Dental Studio might also recommend additional treatment. We may use an antimicrobial agent in your mouth or prescribe antibiotics to help you heal faster.
815 Dental Studio is All About Patient Satisfaction
Your utmost satisfaction starts with our services and skills, and we achieve results with advanced, innovative technology and quality clinical care. Your comfort and trust in our team and our efforts are paramount.
Accordingly, therefore we put an emphasis on a team of highly capable, energetic, and genuinely nice people. A happy team will provide results to happy patients.
Besides serving as the leading cosmetic dental practice in Northern Illinois, improving smiles with implants, Invisalign, veneers, and whitening, we provide general oral healthcare services daily to local families and patients.
We are a youthful and dynamic team, constantly expanding on our knowledge, our skills, and our dental technology to better serve you. Call us today about scheduling a scaling and root planing for you or a family member. Our phone number is 815-229-1110, and you can find us at 1574 South Bell Road, Cherry Valley, IL, 61016. 815 Dental Studio is a team that you will look forward to visiting for your 6-month checkups. Each member of our team is naturally thoughtful, kind, and caring.